Sunday, November 4, 2012

Flavorful Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

In my previous blog post (Pumpkin Muffins Made from Scratch), I promised that I'd write about toasting pumpkin seeds. Well, here it is.

When I was younger I did not like pumpkin seeds, but since then my taste has changed and I've been up to trying new things. I looked online to get the basic steps in roasting pumpkin seeds and then made my own changes.

The first thing you need is a pumpkin. I never carved my pumpkin for Halloween, and I decided to use it to make pumpkin muffins from scratch (which turned out Ah-Mah-Zing!). While making the muffins I decided to save the seeds for toasting, and give them a second chance.

Next, you need to cut open the pumpkin and clean out the guts. Throw the seeds in a strainer, removing as much pulp as you can with your hands (keep a garbage can nearby).



Now wash the seeds in water.


First, I laid the seeds on a paper towel to get off the excess water. Then, I moved them to a cookie sheet and let them dry over night. If you try to dry them on the paper towel, you will have a mess. The seeds will dry to the paper towel, and then you are stuck separating bits of paper from the seeds.


Now, boil the seeds in salt water for 10 minutes. This will allow the salt to get inside and not just be on the shell.


Strain the seeds and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Mix it in.



In 3 rice bowls, I made my seasonings (you can do anything you want). In one bowl I had cayenne pepper. In another I had sea salt. The last bowl I mixed cinnamon and sugar together.


Next, split the seeds into thirds and add them to the bowls, mixing until coated.

Now, place the seeds onto a cookie sheet that was lined with aluminum foil.


Bake at 300F for 1hr. Turn the seeds every 20 minutes.



Happy snacking :)

No comments:

Post a Comment