Saturday, November 3, 2012

Pumpkin Muffins Made from Scratch...yum

This Halloween, I bought a pumpkin, but never had time to carve it. At least my bunny was enjoying it...


I didn't want to just toss the pumpkin, I'm too much of a tree hugger for that. First, I went online, but the directions were too involved, so I went to my friends and asked what to do. One of my friends gave me quick instructions on how to prepare a pumpkin for baking.

First, preheat the oven to 325F.

Rinse the outside of the pumpkin with water.

Then,  remove the top and scrape out the pulp. I saved the seeds to toast (blog coming...).



Cut the pumpkin in quarters, and place the pieces skin side down onto oven safe bakeware.

Bake the pumpkin for 45 min, until the "meat" is tender.


Let it cool for 5-10 min before scooping out the meat into a bowl.

Next, mash the pumpkin. This pumpkin made 6 cups. I froze 4 cups and saved 2 cups for the muffins. This is  enough for 2 batches.

For 1 batch (~12 muffins)
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup mashed pumpkin (if you want to skip all that pumpkin preparation, use a can of pureed pumpkin)
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice (substitute= 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ginger, 1/8 tsp nutmeg, 1/8 tsp ground clove)
1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

For topping
1 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbl granulated sugar

Now, preheat the oven to 350F.

Mix together pumpkin, oil, eggs, spice, sugar, baking soda, and salt until smooth.


Combine flour and baking powder, then add to mix.


In a separate bowl, mix together cinnamon and sugar.


Line muffin pan with paper liners and fill 3/4 full with batter. Sprinkle on cinnamon-sugar mix.

Bake for 25-30 minutes.



Happy snacking :)

2 comments:

  1. Sooo are you going to send me some??? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next batch b/c the Stones are coming this weekend!

      Delete