Sunday, November 24, 2013

Happy Beaujolais Nouveau 2013!

Sorry, I am a couple of days late! Beaujolais Nouveau was November 21st this year, and I decided to share a bottle with friends after a day of wedding dress shopping! And YES I may have found my dress!!!

Anyways, Beaujolais Nouveau is an annual celebration that takes place on the third Thursday of November. You can break international law if you happen to try the wine early - just so you are aware - though I do not know what the repercussions are. Its purpose is to allow wine enthusiasts the opportunity to assess the quality of Europe's vintage.

The wine is made from the Gamay grape grown in the Beaujolais region of France. It is generally sweet because it isn't given much time to ferment and it is low in tannins. The Gamay grape usually provides a light-to-medium bodied wine with fruity cherry flavors. This year's harvest was later than usual due to France's rainy spring which could impact the taste of this year's Beaujolais.

I tried this year's Georges Duboeuf Beaujolais Villages Nouveau. Visually, the wine was a pretty purple. The drips/legs suggest 12% alcohol content. On the nose I smell spiced plum and violets. On the palate, it was very balanced with a plum/berry flavor and a floral finish. 'Tis a good harvest!

Happy Drinking :)

No comments:

Post a Comment