Monday, February 15, 2016

Southwest Salad Jars and Mango Pineapple Smoothies


My husband and I made the executive decision to jump on the meal prepping bandwagon. Since I am a vegetarian and my husband is not, we decided to try salad jars (to individually customize our jars - with/without meat). And since we've been having an unhealthy amount of Taco Bell lately we've decided to start with southwest salads. 

These are the ingredients we used, but you can customize them any way you like.

Romaine Lettuce, coarsely chopped
Tomatoes, diced
Avocados, diced
Yellow Corn, canned, drained
Black Beans, canned, drained
Mexican Blend Cheese, shredded
Taco seasoned meat, cubed (chicken, beef, pork, fish)
Dressing (I used zesty Italian, my husband used Buffalo Ranch)
Tortilla Strips


First, you want to add about 1/4 cup of dressing to the bottom.
Then, add a layer of Romaine to separate the dressing from everything else. 
Then, layer in the ingredients that you want (except the tortilla strips).
Add a final layer of lettuce.
Store the tortilla strips separate if you don't want them to get soggy.
Keep stored in upright position.

When you are ready to eat just shake the jar and dump out onto a plate/bowl. 
Sprinkle on tortilla strips. 



Now for the perfect drink to go with your salad!

Throw into a blender and mix until smooth:


1 cubed mango
1 cup cubed pineapple
1 cup ice cubes
½ cup mango orange juice
6 ounces vanilla yogurt

I don't like pulp, so I strained my smoothie.

Happy Lunch!



No comments:

Post a Comment